question

How does having low iron affect my ability to lose weight?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
answer
Low iron means low energy, potentially leading to burning fewer calories and therefore forcing you to continue to lower your calorie intake to lose weight. That would be the primary way low iron effects fat/weight loss. Keep this in mind: take in fewer calories than you burn and you will always lose weight. That said, you don’t want to feel lethargic while doing it, so get your iron levels checked if you have reason to believe it may be low. And as long as you don't have a condition called hemochromatosis (an inherited disease that leads to iron-overload, affecting 0.5 percent of the population), we also recommend that your daily multivitamin and mineral formula contain a small amount of iron such as 5-10 mg depending on activity.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

6 Ways to Eat More Mindfully
6 Ways to Eat More Mindfully
If dinner feels like a race against the clock, then consider this a speeding ticket from the food police. Quickly plowing through your meals until yo...
5 Simple Changes to Make at Home to Help Manage Weight Loss
If you are working toward a weight loss goal, here’s a tip that may help: Eat until your stomach is 80 percent full. This strategy comes from Dan Bue...
5 Weight Loss Challenges—And How to Get Past Them
Whether you're trying to lower your risk for heart disease and diabetes or want to fit back into those favorite jeans that have gotten a little snug, ...
How much weight can I lose in a week?
How much weight can I lose in a week? With proper nutrition and exercise, you should lose one to two...