question

How does age affect the ability to orgasm?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

As people age, their bodies go through changes that may affect their sexuality, including their ability to orgasm. Women start to experience changes in hormone levels - usually a decrease in estrogen - as they start to go through menopause, and this often decreases their ability to orgasm. These hormonal changes can affect sensitivity, and they may also block the flow of blood to the genitals. Older men may be more likely to experience other issues of sexual dysfunction (such as erectile dysfunction), which can impair their ability to orgasm. However, many older people can still have healthy sex lives and can continue to have orgasms.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

What do male orgasms feel like?
Orgasms feel different for each person, but many men describe orgasms in similar ways. Find out more...
How can I enjoy sex if my partner has premature ejaculation?
How can I enjoy sex if my partner has premature ejaculation? You can help by switching to other type...
Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Learn more from our experts about why orgasm is hard to achieve early in a relationship.
How can I give a woman an orgasm without intercourse?
One of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex. That’s only true,...