How does age affect the ability to orgasm?

As people age, their bodies go through changes that may affect their sexuality, including their ability to orgasm. Women start to experience changes in hormone levels - usually a decrease in estrogen - as they start to go through menopause, and this often decreases their ability to orgasm. These hormonal changes can affect sensitivity, and they may also block the flow of blood to the genitals. Older men may be more likely to experience other issues of sexual dysfunction (such as erectile dysfunction), which can impair their ability to orgasm. However, many older people can still have healthy sex lives and can continue to have orgasms.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I cope with delayed ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Focus more on foreplay during sex. The spark of novelty, anticipation, sharing fantasies and other p...
Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...
How can I give a woman an orgasm without intercourse?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
In my experience, one of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex,...
Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex. Resear...