Why should my partner avoid pornography if he has delayed ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Put away the porn if your partner has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble achieving orgasm and ejaculating. If you think too much porn could be crimping his sex-style, it may be time to take a break from porn and focus on real sex. Porn can create unrealistic sexpectations: It gets guys accustomed to high levels of novelty and stimulation, which aren't always realistic in everyday life -- threesomes, on-demand anal, or sex on top of a Ferrari, anyone?

This disparity can cause problems if he's used to climaxing from fantasy more than from reality. Plus, the stress caused by feeling like he has to "measure up" to porn stars (both figuratively and literally) can lead to performance anxiety and, in turn, DE. We're not saying he has to turn off the porn forever, but a taking break for several weeks can help him determine if it's triggering his DE -- and can give him a chance to get his mojo back.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...
What do male orgasms feel like?
Orgasms feel different for each person, but many men describe orgasms in similar ways. The first fee...
How does age affect the ability to orgasm?
As people age, their bodies go through changes that may affect their sexuality, including their abil...
Can I give myself an orgasm?
It's possible to have an orgasm without having sexual intercourse and even without another person. Y...