Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?

The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're having an orgasm. Most of the time, an orgasm is the climax of sexual arousal that results in a release of sexual tension. For many people, this feels like a very pleasurable pulsing or throbbing in their pelvic and genital areas. Most people feel those muscle contractions pretty intensely, but some people may experience a milder tingling sensation. Regardless of the level of intensity, most people are able to feel the sense of release that's caused by an orgasm, meaning most people realize when they're having one.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex. Resear...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...
Can orgasms be caused by anything other than sex?
Orgasms can be caused by almost any type of sexual activity, not just sexual intercourse. Oral sex a...
Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...