Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're having an orgasm. Most of the time, an orgasm is the climax of sexual arousal that results in a release of sexual tension. For many people, this feels like a very pleasurable pulsing or throbbing in their pelvic and genital areas. Most people feel those muscle contractions pretty intensely, but some people may experience a milder tingling sensation. Regardless of the level of intensity, most people are able to feel the sense of release that's caused by an orgasm, meaning most people realize when they're having one.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Learn more from our experts about why orgasm is hard to achieve early in a relationship.
What medications can cause delayed ejaculation?
What medications can cause delayed ejaculation? Medications, such as antidepressants, can have delay...
Is something wrong if I don't orgasm every time I have sex?
Being able to orgasm depends on many circumstances, so should you orgasm every time you have sex? Fi...
How does age affect the ability to orgasm?
Getting older may affect your ability to have an orgasm. Learn more about the effects of aging from ...