Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're having an orgasm. Most of the time, an orgasm is the climax of sexual arousal that results in a release of sexual tension. For many people, this feels like a very pleasurable pulsing or throbbing in their pelvic and genital areas. Most people feel those muscle contractions pretty intensely, but some people may experience a milder tingling sensation. Regardless of the level of intensity, most people are able to feel the sense of release that's caused by an orgasm, meaning most people realize when they're having one.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How long does it typically take to achieve orgasm?
The average man achieves orgasm in three to five minutes; it can take a woman four times as long. Th...
Why should my partner see a doctor if he has delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Get a clean bill of health for your partner if he has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble...
How can I give a woman an orgasm without intercourse?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
In my experience, one of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex,...
Why should my partner avoid pornography if he has delayed ejaculation?
Put away the porn if your partner has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble achieving o...