Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?

The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're having an orgasm. Most of the time, an orgasm is the climax of sexual arousal that results in a release of sexual tension. For many people, this feels like a very pleasurable pulsing or throbbing in their pelvic and genital areas. Most people feel those muscle contractions pretty intensely, but some people may experience a milder tingling sensation. Regardless of the level of intensity, most people are able to feel the sense of release that's caused by an orgasm, meaning most people realize when they're having one.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How does age affect the ability to orgasm?
As people age, their bodies go through changes that may affect their sexuality, including their abil...
What is delayed ejaculation?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man is able to have an erection but isn't able to ejaculate. T...
How can I help my partner last longer during sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Try positions that emphasize the top of the penis rather than the sensitive underside. Focusing on p...
Can women climax easier if they're relaxed?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Studies show that women are more likely to orgasm when comfortable and relaxed during sex. Resear...