Why do my ears feel like they want to pop during exercise?

The eustachian tubes connect the middle ears to the back of the nose and help the ears drain fluid. They also help to keep air pressure between the outside air and the pressure in your middle ear equal. When there’s a sudden shift in air pressure, your body adjusts by moving air through your Eustachian tube and thus the "popping" sensation. This change in pressure can occur in exercisers when breathing forcefully or bracing to lift a heavy load and thus causing the "popping" sensation. Swallowing or yawning can help unplug your ears.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

What are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy exercise?
What are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy exercise? An example of light exercise is slow ...
How effectively does the Smolov squat routine build muscle mass?
How effectively does the Smolov squat routine build muscle mass? The iconic Smolov squat cycle calls...
Why is intensity important when exercising?
Higher intensity exercise programs reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome. Learn more from our expert...
How do I do the arm-across-chest stretch exercise?
How do I do the arm-across-chest stretch exercise? Lie on your right side with your right elbow slig...