If I'm pregnant and carrying low, will I have a boy?

This is one of those myths that makes guessing the baby's gender fun but has no basis in fact. "Carrying low" means the pregnancy bump, or the most protruding part of the belly, rests low on the abdomen, close to the pelvis. "Carrying high" means the bump rides closer to the breasts. If a woman has loose abdominal muscles, either because of age or a previous pregnancy, the bump will be low. A woman with tighter abdominal muscles will carry a baby higher. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong, 1978) may have floated the hazy notion that smoking marijuana was harmless fun, but new research shows a woman’s chance...
What are the risks of taking anti-seizure drugs during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In general, anti-seizure drugs are limited to the treatment of seizure or epilepsy disorders dur...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?