Will resistance training make me less flexible?

Resistance training does have the potential to make you less flexible in certain areas if you continually perform the same exercises in the same manner and do not incorporate flexibility training into your exercise routine. Resistance training in general causes stress and trauma to our muscles. As our muscles heal and recover from that stress, scar tissue develops which over time will decrease the muscles' ability to lengthen and stretch the way that it should, leading to decreased flexibility. So, to prevent resistance training from making you less flexible, incorporate a variety of different exercises into your routine, and make sure to perform flexibility training (stretching) on a regular basis. Two great types of stretching to include in your program for this purpose are foam rolling (a form of self-massage that alleviates knots in muscles), and static stretching.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
Is strength training considered a weight-bearing exercise?
Strength training is a non-impact form of weight-bearing exercise because it involves bone loading.
Will strength training decrease flexibility?
Will strength training decrease flexibility? If flexibility training is used in conjunction with str...
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises? Strengthening exercises only need to be per...