What is tooth removal and extraction?

For starters, tooth removal and tooth extraction are the same thing. Both terms mean your tooth is removed from its socket. There are two different ways your tooth can be extracted. One is called a simple extraction, which is performed by your dentist in his office. The other is called a surgical extraction and may require the expertise of an oral surgeon. Tooth extractions are necessary for a number of different reasons. If you have a broken or damaged tooth that cannot be repaired, it will need to be removed. Many people have to have their wisdom teeth extracted because there simply isn’t room for them in their mouth. Cancer patients and patients undergoing organ transplants may also undergo tooth extraction to lower their chances of developing an infection.
An extraction means to have a tooth removed, usually because of disease, trauma or crowding.

If you need an extraction, your dentist will first numb the area to lessen any discomfort. After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. In most cases a small amount of bleeding is normal. Your mouth will slowly fill in the bone where the tooth root was through the formation of a blood clot.
Tooth removal and extraction are the same. The procedure involves removal of the tooth roots from the surrounding bone. In most cases, other than impacted teeth, the top of the tooth is already not covered by bone, so roots are what must be removed.

In simple (non-surgical) extractions, the gum tissue is separated from the tooth and then special instruments are used to create movement of the roots within the socket in the bone (where the roots are). After this is accomplished to the degree possible, extraction forceps, often specific for tooth or area involved, are placed on the tooth to achieve further movement until the roots of the tooth are loose enough to allow for tooth removal.

Surgical extractions involve the same principle of root removal, however the gum tissue may have to be surgically moved away, and either some bone must be removed for access to the roots and/or the tooth may have to be sectioned into several pieces to allow for root removal. In this case sutures are often placed to adapt the gum to the ridge and control post-op bleeding.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

If I have no symptoms, why would I get wisdom tooth removal and extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Because wisdom teeth are loca...
How can I avoid complications of tooth removal and extraction?
You can try to avoid some of the complications of tooth removal and extraction, but unfortunately, s...
How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...
Why does dentist recommend bone graft during tooth extraction?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
When a tooth is removed, the bone that supported this tooth is also lost in time. The only chance yo...