Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?

In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in some cases you may not. This will depend on the type of stitches that your dentist or oral surgeon uses and whether you experience any complications from the surgery. If you have regular stitches that do not dissolve over time, then you will need to schedule an appointment to have them removed. Additionally, if you experience pain, fever, or other complications after your surgery, you should make an appointment with your dentist or oral surgeon so they can help fix these problems.

Whether follow up is needed varies upon your situation and your dentist can best advise. It is important to closely follow the post extraction care regimen that your dentist provides in order to avoid any complications. Should you experience pain, swelling or bleeding, then it will be necessary to see your dentist for additional follow up care.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What are the risks of a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause...
Why do I need tooth removal and extraction of my impacted tooth?
Wisdom teeth are a valuable asset to the mouth when they are healthy and properly positioned. When t...
When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?
You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or...
Are there any risks associated with having a tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Having a tooth extracted is not a procedure that you or your dentist should take lightly. To give yo...