What medications will I need to take before and after a tooth extraction?

In most cases, you should take the same medications you normally take before and after a tooth has been extracted. In some cases, medications that increase bleeding or antibiotics may be needed to be altered or prescribed before a tooth is extracted. After a tooth is extracted, pain medication may be needed for a few days. Consult closely with your dentist prior to having a tooth extracted to address these issues.
Whether or not you need medication before an extraction depends on the health of your mouth. If the tooth is infected, your dentist may prescribe antibiotics before scheduling the procedure.

After the extraction, your dentist may prescribe a pain reliever, such as ibuprofen. If the pain medication does not work for you or if you have prolonged severe pain or vomiting, call your dentist immediately or go to a hospital emergency room.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What do I need to know after having a wisdom tooth taken out?
After a wisdom tooth extraction you may experience some pain and swelling in your mouth and on the s...
When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?
You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or...
What should I expect after having a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. In mos...
How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...