Could nerve damage happen in my face when a wisdom tooth is removed?

Nerve damage is possible with dental surgeries such as the pulling of a wisdom tooth. However, if you choose a well trained-dentist who has experience with tooth extraction, the risk of a damaged facial nerve is minimal.
Many people can experience numbness or tingling in the face or jaw after their wisdom teeth are removed. Normal sensation usually returns within a few days. In rare cases, nerve damage may result. If you experience numbness or tingling longer than a few days, consult your dentist.
Randall D. Stastny, DMD
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

The nerve that controls the sensation to the chin, lower lip and lower teeth runs through the lower jaw and sometimes very close to the lower wisdom teeth. If this nerve is stretched or bruised during removal of the lower wisdom teeth patients may experience some prolonged numbness in the chin, lip or lower teeth on that side of the jaw. The numbness may be partial or complete numbness. Studies have shown that this nerve usually heals within six months; therefore, if there is any sign of improvement of feeling in the area most people have most of their healing at six months. If there is no feeling, or there is no improvement the American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons recommends referral to an oral & maxillofacial surgeon who is skilled in repair of these type of nerve injuries within six months from the time of injury.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What happens to the stitches in my mouth following a surgical extraction?
Amit S. Somani, DMDAmit S. Somani, DMD
It depends on what kind of stitches the dentist used in your mouth. There are two types: stitches th...
Why might I need tooth removal and extraction?
There are a number of reasons why your dentist may suggest that you have tooth removal and extractio...
What should I expect from tooth removal and extraction?
You should expect that you will have a number of conversations with your dentist regarding what shou...
How effective is a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum disease can be one of the reasons for extraction of wisdom teeth or other teeth. Some factors in...