What happens to the stitches in my mouth following a surgical extraction?

With today's advanced and modern procedures, stitches from tooth extractions typically dissolve and absorb on their own. A follow up visit to the dentist is typically not necessary for removal of these stitches for this reason. Your dentist will advise you following the procedure on your stitches and other follow up care.
If you received stitches during your surgical extraction, the stitches will dissolve on their own in about two weeks. You can rinse with warm salt water to help them dissolve. If they do not go away on their own, they may need to be removed by a surgeon or dentist.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Why do impacted teeth have to be extracted?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Not all impacted teeth need to be extracted, but some do. If the impacted tooth is causing pain, in...
How are dental implants placed in the mouth after tooth extraction?
Dental implants require to place an anchor in your mouth. It may take up to six months before the bo...
If I have no symptoms, why would I get wisdom tooth removal and extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth that are healthy and properly positioned can be an asset. Because wisdom teeth are loca...
Why does dentist recommend bone graft during tooth extraction?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
When a tooth is removed, the bone that supported this tooth is also lost in time. The only chance yo...