What happens to the stitches in my mouth following a surgical extraction?

With today's advanced and modern procedures, stitches from tooth extractions typically dissolve and absorb on their own. A follow up visit to the dentist is typically not necessary for removal of these stitches for this reason. Your dentist will advise you following the procedure on your stitches and other follow up care.
It depends on what kind of stitches the dentist used in your mouth. There are two types: stitches that resorb on their own and you don't need to do anything, and the other are stitches for which you see the dentist in about two weeks and he/she removes them. Ask your dentist which type he/she placed in your mouth. 
If you received stitches during your surgical extraction, the stitches will dissolve on their own in about two weeks. You can rinse with warm salt water to help them dissolve. If they do not go away on their own, they may need to be removed by a surgeon or dentist.
The stitches in your mouth after tooth extraction are absorbable and dissolve on their own after a few days.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Why does dentist recommend bone graft during tooth extraction?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
When a tooth is removed, the bone that supported this tooth is also lost in time. The only chance yo...
What should I think about if I have a wisdom tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have your wisdom teeth extracted, you should adhere to the post-extraction regimen your denti...
How effective is a wisdom tooth extraction?
Wisdom teeth extractions are highly successful and are a pretty common procedure. Wisdom teeth are t...
What are possible complications of tooth removal and extraction?
It is important to adhere to follow up care as recommended by your dentist, both for your health ben...