Will I have to be put to sleep to have a surgical tooth extraction?

Sedation is a wonderful way of getting dentistry done whether it's just an extraction or for routine dental care, but it is not necessary in order to have a tooth extracted. A surgical extraction can be done with local anesthetic. Usually people who opt for sedation are the high fear patients or have difficulty getting numb with local anesthetic.
You may not require complete sedation during a surgical tooth extraction. You can have a local anesthetic or you can have a conscious sedation. If you have special medical conditions, you may be given general anesthesia.

You should not require sedation for a tooth extraction. Prior to a tooth extraction, your dentist will numb the area with a local anesthetic to lessen any discomfort. After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow, in most cases a small amount of bleeding is normal. Avoid anything that might prevent normal healing. It is usually best not to smoke or rinse your mouth vigorously, or drink through a straw for 24 hours. These activities could dislodge the clot and delay healing.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Is infection a risk of having a tooth pulled?
Randall D. Stastny, DMDRandall D. Stastny, DMD
As with any surgical procedure, infection is always a risk. However, the oral cavity has an amazing ...
When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal a...
When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?
You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or...
How effective is a tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
An extraction means to have a tooth removed, usually because of disease, trauma or crowding. For the...