Will I have to be put to sleep to have a surgical tooth extraction?

You should not require sedation for a tooth extraction. Prior to a tooth extraction, your dentist will numb the area with a local anesthetic to lessen any discomfort. After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow, in most cases a small amount of bleeding is normal. Avoid anything that might prevent normal healing. It is usually best not to smoke or rinse your mouth vigorously, or drink through a straw for 24 hours. These activities could dislodge the clot and delay healing.

Sedation is a wonderful way of getting dentistry done whether it's just an extraction or for routine dental care, but it is not necessary in order to have a tooth extracted. A surgical extraction can be done with local anesthetic. Usually people who opt for sedation are the high fear patients or have difficulty getting numb with local anesthetic.
You may not require complete sedation during a surgical tooth extraction. You can have a local anesthetic or you can have a conscious sedation. If you have special medical conditions, you may be given general anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What should I think about if I have a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have a tooth extraction due to gum disease, there are two considerations you should think abo...
What steps can I take to prevent the need for a tooth extraction?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
Good oral home care and seeing your dentist regularly will assure early detection and prevention. Th...
How should I care for a tooth extraction at home?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
After an extraction the following is recommended:Constant pressure where the gauze is placed for 1 ...
What is a tooth extraction for gum disease?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Gum disease(periodontal disease) can lead to the loss of teeth. Untreated periodontal disease causes...