When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?

If you experience heavy or regular bleeding, pain or swelling, you should contact your dentist. Your dentist will advise of a post extraction regimen to follow in order to minimize any discomfort and help the healing process. Also ask your dentist about pain medication. 

Remember, when having an extraction, today's modern procedures and follow up care (as recommended by your dentist) are there for your benefit and comfort.
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal and extraction surgery. However, you may experience other symptoms that could indicate nerve damage, an infection, or other complication such as dry socket. If you experience swelling that gets worse after a few days, a bad taste in your mouth, a fever, pus around the wound, blood in your nose, or severe pain or numbness that will not go away, you should contact your dentist or oral surgeon right away.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

How effective is a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum disease can be one of the reasons for extraction of wisdom teeth or other teeth. Some factors in...
More Answers
How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...
More Answers
What is the process for a simple extraction?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
In a simple tooth extraction the area is anesthetized and then the tooth is loosened. It can be loos...
More Answers
What can I expect during recovery from a surgical tooth extraction?
Following a surgical tooth extraction, your jaw may be sore, stiff, and swollen. You may need to bit...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.