What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?

Calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for help.

The call taker will send emergency medical help on the way as fast as possible. Make the call quickly and return to the person. If possible, ask someone else to make the call.
American Red Cross, calling 911, medical personnel, gym, victim, emergency
The first important thing you should do to help an injured person is call 911. Do not worsen the injury. The person should not be moved unless he or she is at risk of being further hurt. Apply gentle pressure to stop any bleeding. Use ice packs on areas of pain or swelling. A person who is breathing fast or feels faint may be going into shock and should lie down with legs elevated, if possible.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

How to Save a Life: Plus Beats to Help You Perform Better CPR
CPR is a lifesaving technique which can help you resuscitate someone whose heart has stopped beating. This could happen for a number of reasons such a...
How should people who have medical conditions handle the summer heat?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
That depends on the types of conditions. But, for the most part, people with a fairly common disease...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?