What causes urination during intercourse?

The loss of urine during sexual intercourse could be caused by stress urinary incontinence (SUI) or overactive bladder (OAB). Based on clinical series, the loss of urine can occur during penetration or during orgasm. The majority of women experienced loss of urine during penetration. When bladder tests (urodynamics studies) were performed, urinary incontinence with penetration was strongly correlated with SUI, while urinary incontinence from orgasm was strongly correlated with OAB. 
The loss of urine during intercourse can lead to embarrassment and even female sexual dysfunction. Many women experience minor leakage of urine from time to time. Emptying the bladder or cutting back on fluids prior to intercourse can be helpful. If loss of urine during intercourse is a frequent occurrence, contact your doctor or healthcare provider for a full discussion of possible treatment options for SUI and/or OAB.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Worrying About Your Love Life Making You Sick?
Can a relationship make you physically sick? It turns out that worrying about the state of your love life can cause your stress level to go through th...
Are sexual desires limited to a particular age?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
The short answer is no. The focus of sexual desire will change from attracting a mate to self-discov...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?