question

What causes urination during intercourse?

Arthur R. Crowley, MD
Arthur R. Crowley, MD
Urology
answer
The loss of urine during sexual intercourse could be caused by stress urinary incontinence (SUI) or overactive bladder (OAB). Based on clinical series, the loss of urine can occur during penetration or during orgasm. The majority of women experienced loss of urine during penetration. When bladder tests (urodynamics studies) were performed, urinary incontinence with penetration was strongly correlated with SUI, while urinary incontinence from orgasm was strongly correlated with OAB. 
The loss of urine during intercourse can lead to embarrassment and even female sexual dysfunction. Many women experience minor leakage of urine from time to time. Emptying the bladder or cutting back on fluids prior to intercourse can be helpful. If loss of urine during intercourse is a frequent occurrence, contact your doctor or healthcare provider for a full discussion of possible treatment options for SUI and/or OAB.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Your Top Real-Life Sex Questions, Answered
Having sex is one thing. Talking about it is another, especially if something is interfering with your ability to enjoy sex. In many cultures, women a...
What can I do if I have cramping after intercourse?
What can I do if I have cramping after intercourse? Cramping after intercourse occurs because of con...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work? If you're a woman dealing with low sex drive, there ar...
Is Masturbation Healthy?
Is Masturbation Healthy?Is Masturbation Healthy?Is Masturbation Healthy?Is Masturbation Healthy?
In fact, it's one of the best and easiest ways to get to know your body—and offers a range of health benefits. Whether you're single or in a relation...