What does the tightness in my throat have to do with my thyroid?

If thyroid enlargement occurs very slowly, one may not notice the slow increase in size or have any symptoms. However, some patients may complain of a feeling of fullness in the neck, a choking sensation, difficulty swallowing large pills or chunky foods, a sense of pressure on the neck, or worsening snoring, especially when the thyroid grows beneath the breastbone (i.e. substernal goiter). These compressive symptoms can be due to enlargement of the thyroid or due to inflammation in the thyroid and are often an indication to remove the thyroid.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Benign non-toxic multinodular goiter

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

What Medications and Therapies Treat Graves’ Disease?
Graves’ Disease affects the thyroid, a hormone-producing gland located in the throat. When a person has Graves’ disease, the body’s immune system atta...
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
Can a thyroid problem cause night sweats?
Night sweats can be associated with both underactive or overactive thyroid function. Learn more from...
What supplements should I take after thyroid surgery?
Following thyroid surgery, If signs of low calcium level occur, then calcium and/or vitamin D pills ...