What does the tightness in my throat have to do with my thyroid?

If thyroid enlargement occurs very slowly, one may not notice the slow increase in size or have any symptoms. However, some patients may complain of a feeling of fullness in the neck, a choking sensation, difficulty swallowing large pills or chunky foods, a sense of pressure on the neck, or worsening snoring, especially when the thyroid grows beneath the breastbone (i.e. substernal goiter). These compressive symptoms can be due to enlargement of the thyroid or due to inflammation in the thyroid and are often an indication to remove the thyroid.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Benign non-toxic multinodular goiter

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
Must-Know Facts About Your Thyroid
The small butterfly-shaped endocrine gland at the bottom of your throat, otherwise known as the thyroid, is responsible for more of your body’s functi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with thyroid disorders?
Be sure someone with a thyroid disorder is taking any medications as recommended by his or her docto...
Do thyroid disorders affect children differently than adults?
Harvey K. Chiu, MDHarvey K. Chiu, MD
Thyroid disorders can affect children in ways that are much more profound than in adults with lastin...
What Is Thyroid Hormone?
What Is Thyroid Hormone?