<p>If you have a thyroid disorder—<em>hyper</em>thyroidism or <em>hypo</em>thyroidism—your <a href="/health/thyroid-gland/function-of-thyroid-gland" target="_blank">thyroid gland</a> makes too much or too little <a href="/health/thyroid-gland/what-is-thyroxine-t4" target="_blank">thyroid hormone.</a> One of your thyroid's main jobs is to regulate your <a href="/health/how-the-metabolic-process-works/what-is-metabolism" target="_blank">metabolism,</a> so a thyroid problem may cause sudden weight loss or weight gain, fatigue, a fast heart rate or extreme sensitivity to hot or cold. Other thyroid disorders include <a href="/health/thyroid-disorders/why-do-women-get-thyroid-nodules" target="_blank">thyroid nodules</a> and <a href="/health/thyroid-cancer-2/is-thyroid-cancer-common" target="_blank">thyroid cancer.</a></p>
Thyroid DisordersKnow the Signs
What's your RealAge?Take the RealAge Test to find out your body's true age.
Thyroid Disorders Q&As
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Are thyroid disorders serious?
<p>Because thyroid function affects your metabolism, heart rate, and other bodily functions, thyroid disorders can be serious. However, most thyroid disorders can be treated successfully with medication. Work with your doctor to determine the right medication and treatment for your thyroid disorder, and you should be feeling back to normal.</p>
- QCould my child be born without a thyroid gland?
- QWhat are thyroid disorders?
- QWhat do I need to know about caring for someone with thyroid disorders?
- QWhat is thyroiditis, and how does it relate to hypothyroidism?
- QWhat is the rate of incidence for thyroid disorders?
- QWhat is thyroiditis?
- QDo thyroid disorders affect children differently than adults?
- QHow are thyroid disorders diagnosed?
- QWhat are treatment options for thyroid disorders?
- QWhat are the side effects of thyroid surgery?
- QHow long does thyroid surgery take?
- QWhen can I return to normal activity after thyroid surgery?
- QWhat is a fine needle aspiration biopsy of a thyroid nodule?
- QHow long is the recovery from thyroid surgery?
- QWhen should I get tested for thyroid dysfunction?
- QDo I need medicine if I have borderline thyroid test results?
- QWhat is the difference between a thyroid nodule and a goiter?
- QCan a thyroid problem cause night sweats?
- QWhat are the most common types of thyroid problems?
- QWhat foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
- QWho is at risk for thyroid disease?
- QWill I have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery?
- QWill my voice change after thyroid surgery?
- QWhat supplements should I take after thyroid surgery?