<p>If you have a thyroid disorder—<em>hyper</em>thyroidism or <em>hypo</em>thyroidism—your <a href="/health/thyroid-gland/function-of-thyroid-gland" target="_blank">thyroid gland</a> makes too much or too little <a href="/health/thyroid-gland/what-is-thyroxine-t4" target="_blank">thyroid hormone.</a> One of your thyroid's main jobs is to regulate your <a href="/health/how-the-metabolic-process-works/what-is-metabolism" target="_blank">metabolism,</a> so a thyroid problem may cause sudden weight loss or weight gain, fatigue, a fast heart rate or extreme sensitivity to hot or cold. Other thyroid disorders include <a href="/health/thyroid-disorders/why-do-women-get-thyroid-nodules" target="_blank">thyroid nodules</a> and <a href="/health/thyroid-cancer-2/is-thyroid-cancer-common" target="_blank">thyroid cancer.</a></p>
Thyroid DisordersKnow the Signs
What's your RealAge?Take the RealAge Test to find out your body's true age.
Thyroid Disorders Q&As
Could my child be born without a thyroid gland?
<p>In rare cases, children can be born without a thyroid gland or with a thyroid gland that is extremely underdeveloped. Genetics or the mother's intake of radioactive iodine medication may play a role in some of these cases. In other cases, the cause is unknown. Lack of a well-developed thyroid gland at birth leads to congenital hypothyroidism. If your infant is diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, he or she will need to take thyroid hormone medication for the duration of life.</p>
- QAre thyroid disorders serious?
- QWhat is thyroiditis, and how does it relate to hypothyroidism?
- QWhat do I need to know about caring for someone with thyroid disorders?
- QWhat is the rate of incidence for thyroid disorders?
- QWhat are thyroid disorders?
- QWhat is thyroiditis?
- QDo thyroid disorders affect children differently than adults?
- QHow are thyroid disorders diagnosed?
- QWhat are treatment options for thyroid disorders?
- QWhat are the side effects of thyroid surgery?
- QHow long does thyroid surgery take?
- QWhen can I return to normal activity after thyroid surgery?
- QWhen should I get tested for thyroid dysfunction?
- QWhat is a fine needle aspiration biopsy of a thyroid nodule?
- QHow long is the recovery from thyroid surgery?
- QDo I need medicine if I have borderline thyroid test results?
- QWhat is the difference between a thyroid nodule and a goiter?
- QCan a thyroid problem cause night sweats?
- QWhat are the most common types of thyroid problems?
- QWhat foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
- QWho is at risk for thyroid disease?
- QWill I have stitches that need to be removed after my thyroid surgery?
- QWill my voice change after thyroid surgery?
- QWhat supplements should I take after thyroid surgery?