What does a first responder do at an emergency?

As a first responder, your first step is to assess the situation to ensure the scene is safe. The second step is to assess the victim’s airway, breathing, and vascular circulation. If the victim is not breathing, you should have someone else call 911 while you start CPR. Even if the victim is breathing, you should still have someone call 911 in the event of an emergency situation.

This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

What equipment is standard in most emergency rooms?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Emergency Departments are stocked with a huge array of intricate and oddly shaped, beeping and blink...
Who decides when a patient needs to be in a critical care unit?
Tamla WellsTamla Wells
The admitting doctor in the critical care unit decides when you need to be in a critical care unit. ...
When should I take my child to the emergency room (ER) for a cough?
Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart InstituteLawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute
You should take your child to the emergency room for a cough if your child has any of the following ...
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?