How is critical care medicine different from emergency medicine?

Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Sports Medicine Specialist

Think of the difference in terms of the degree of urgency. Emergency Medicine is administered in response to an unexpected event, whether it be a cut requiring a bandaid, or a heart attack which requires immediate intervention to save a life. It is care administered on an "urgent" basis. Critical care medicine is given to patients who are seriously ill or injured on a continuous basis after the initial treatment, and may be required for days or weels generally before the patient is stabilized and able to receive less intensive monitoring and intervention. Most hospitals have both an emergency room and a critical care unit.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

what type of care can i expect in an emergency room ( er ) ?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Emergency room (ER) personnel are trained to prioritize patients in order of severity and not by len...
are there warning signs of respiratory failure in critical care ?
Julia Vicente, MSNJulia Vicente, MSN
Yes, most often there are warning signs of respiratory failure in critical care. When we breathe we ...
will ems treat my injury en route to the trauma center ?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
EMS (emergency medical services) will render first aid to injuries. Depending on the training of the...
who will take care of me when i arrive at the trauma center ?
Julia Vicente, MSNJulia Vicente, MSN
Paramedics, EMTs and possibly trauma flight nurses will deliver the trauma patient to the the trauma...