Can my family stay with me in critical care?

Deb Cordes
Deb Cordes on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Many hospitals have "open visitation" which means that you can visit at any time of the day and night and that you can spend the night with your family member. It is important to check with the nurse taking care of your family member what the visitation policy is. Some hospitals do not have open visitation policies and restrict visiting hours to certain times and in the critical care unit of the hospital.

Linda Martinez
Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
The American Association of Critical Care nurses recommendation to critical care units is to have "open" visiting hours.  This recommendation is based on research studies that show increased patient & family satisfaction.  Most modern critical care units allow at least one family member to stay and have accomadations for a family member.
research studies th

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately,...
How can I tell if I need to go to the emergency room?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You go to the emergency room when you think you have an emergency. What is an emergency for one pers...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?