When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for a fever?

A fever that is accompanied by symptoms such as a headache, vomiting or a backache should be addressed immediately.

You should go to the hospital if you have a fever over 104 degrees Fahrenheit. A fever that high can injure your body. A lower fever without any symptoms is not a reason to go to the hospital. However, you may need to go to the emergency room if you have a lower fever and these symptoms:

• a lot of trouble breathing (shortness of breath)
  • a cut or break in the skin (wound) with thick green, yellow, tan or white fluid coming from it

Call your doctor if you have a fever and aren't sure if you need emergency medical care.

A fever that doesn't go away or is associated with pain should send you to the ER.

You should go to the emergency room for a fever if you reach 100.4 F; it could indicate a virus or bacterial infection.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
When should I take my baby to the emergency room (ER)?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
It can be hard to tell if you need to take your baby to the emergency room (ER). Obviously babies ca...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?