What is the proper way to breathe during strength training?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The most important thing to remember during strength training is to breathe regularly to establish a rhythm. The biggest problem many have is not that they breathe incorrectly, but rather that they hold their breath. Rhythmic, paced breathing helps to prevent you from getting dizzy. Correct breathing technique helps to avoid problems with blood pressure rising too high during exercise.

To properly breathe during strength training inhale on the eccentric phase and exhale during the concentric phase. Exhale while you’re doing the hardest work, and inhale as you’re coming back to your starting position. Properly breathing will make it easier to perform the exercise. If you are new to resistance training, exaggerate your breathing slightly until you get a good feel for inhaling and exhaling at the proper times.

Wendy Batts
Fitness
The proper way to breath during a strength training program is to remember to do it!  The most important thing to remember is to breathe in and out normally/comfortably and not force a count on how long you should be breathing in and out.  Many people tend to hold their breath which can cause you to become dizzy or lightheaded and will decrease the overall performance of your program.  When you are starting out, your exercise repetitions should be slow and controlled.  For this reason, putting a specific count to how to breathe in and out does not make sense.  You should focus on controlling your breathing and exhale when you are exerting the most amount of force for the best results.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

How long of a break should I take before working the same muscle group?
How long of a break should I take before working the same muscle group? The amount of rest needed be...
What is strength endurance training?
What is strength endurance training? Strength endurance training improves stabilization endurance. L...
Will resistance training make me less flexible?
Will resistance training make me less flexible? Resistance training can make you less flexible if yo...
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises? Strengthening exercises only need to be per...