question

What equipment do I need for strength training?

Jonathan Penney
Jonathan Penney on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
Fitness
answer

The list of equipment for strength training is quite long but below will be a list to help:

• Dumbbells
  • Resistance bands
  • Barbells
  • Kettlebells
  • TRX Suspension Trainer
  • Cable machines
  • Medicine Balls

This list will assist but more options are available.  Pick and choose what you want to use for your strength training and be sure to keep variety to prevent from any boredom.

answer
If you join a gym, it will probably have a Cybex or Nautilus circuit already set up. If you are going to buy weights to use at home, consider free weights. All-in-one weight machines are much more expensive and take a lot of time for readjustments between each maneuver, meaning you spend a lot of your workout time fiddling with the equipment. There are several safe ways to increase resistance in your stamina-building exercises. Many aerobic exercise machines allow you to set a particular level of resistance. On treadmills, you can raise the angle of the track. Also, many stationary bicycles can be adjusted to increase the amount of force needed to pedal.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
When we think of muscles, we think of Popeye, not twiggy Olive Oyl. But building and maintaining muscle mass is even more important for women. We all ...
To Build and Maintain Muscle, Try Less Weight and More Reps
If you’re looking to develop and maintain muscle and increase strength, you might think that the only way is by lifting the heaviest weight possible. ...
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises? Strengthening exercises only need to be per...
5 Moves to Tone Your Arms
5 Moves to Tone Your Arms5 Moves to Tone Your Arms5 Moves to Tone Your Arms5 Moves to Tone Your Arms
Tighten your triceps—and more—with these arm-toning moves. Ever wish you could spot-tone certain parts of your body when you work out, whether your w...