Why shouldn't I hold my breath while lifting weights?

Proper breathing is essential to a safe and successful exercise routine. When we exercise, our blood pressure is elevated. If you hold your breath during exercise then your blood pressure may rise to an unsafe level. Be sure to breathe out when exerting yourself.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Sometimes it's hard to know how much weight is enough when you're a beginner trying to start a strength-training program.  Rule of thumb: Don't start...
Why should I hold weights with an open-hand grip?
Why should I hold weights with an open-hand grip? Holding with a light grip and reaching through the...
Why is strength training important for weight loss?
Strength training is important for weight loss because it appears to elevate the metabolism and keep...
Is strength training considered a weight-bearing exercise?
Strength training is a non-impact form of weight-bearing exercise because it involves bone loading.