Why shouldn't I hold my breath while lifting weights?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Blood pressure increases during weight training, especially during the negative phase of a repetition (when the muscle elongates). You should never hold your breath while lifting weights, which can lead to dangerously high blood pressure. Exhale during the negative phase; and inhale during the positive phase.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...
Proper breathing is essential to a safe and successful exercise routine. When we exercise, our blood pressure is elevated. If you hold your breath during exercise then your blood pressure may rise to an unsafe level. Be sure to breathe out when exerting yourself.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Less Weight, More Reps Builds Muscle
Less Weight, More Reps Builds Muscle
Don't knock yourself out with super-heavy lifting. You can make your muscles bigger and stronger by pumping the little stuff.   You just have to lift...
How many total sets should I do during my strength training?
The number of sets you perform is completely dependent on your goals and your physical capabilities....
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves. At the end of a long shift, hitting the gym may sound like the last thing ...
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?