Why shouldn't I hold my breath while lifting weights?

Proper breathing is essential to a safe and successful exercise routine. When we exercise, our blood pressure is elevated. If you hold your breath during exercise then your blood pressure may rise to an unsafe level. Be sure to breathe out when exerting yourself.
Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Blood pressure increases during weight training, especially during the negative phase of a repetition (when the muscle elongates). You should never hold your breath while lifting weights, which can lead to dangerously high blood pressure. Exhale during the negative phase; and inhale during the positive phase.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Why You Should Incorporate Strength Training Into Your Workout Routine
Researchers involved in a study, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, looked at data on more than 80,306 adults and confirmed that stren...
How should I do a point-and-flex exercise to strengthen my ankles?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a point and flex exercise: Reps: 10 Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Moderate Tempo: 3-1-3 R...
Should I talk to my doctor about starting a strength training program?
Yes, before starting any type of training program you should consult your physician and submit to a ...
Need Help to Quit Smoking? Lift Weights!