Why shouldn't I hold my breath while lifting weights?

Proper breathing is essential to a safe and successful exercise routine. When we exercise, our blood pressure is elevated. If you hold your breath during exercise then your blood pressure may rise to an unsafe level. Be sure to breathe out when exerting yourself.
Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Blood pressure increases during weight training, especially during the negative phase of a repetition (when the muscle elongates). You should never hold your breath while lifting weights, which can lead to dangerously high blood pressure. Exhale during the negative phase; and inhale during the positive phase.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training? Start with 5
Strength Training? Start with 5
Sometimes it's hard to know how much weight is enough when you're trying to build a little muscle. Rule of thumb: Don't start with anything higher th...
Should I practice strength training during pregnancy?
Leslie L. Peterson, NASM Elite TrainerLeslie L. Peterson, NASM Elite Trainer
Yes. Low impact or step aerobics that avoid jarring motions, treadmill walking, stationary cycling a...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
Keep These Limbs and Joints Strong
Keep These Limbs and Joints Strong