Why do I lose weight when I sleep?

The main thing affecting overnight weight change is the amount of water in your system. Water weighs an amazing amount. A gallon of water, for example, weighs 8 pounds and a pint weighs 1 pound. In other words, if you drink a 1-liter bottle of soda, instantly you will gain 2.2 pounds, just from the water.

Overnight, two processes cause you to lose water gradually: breathing and sweating. In respiration, each time you exhale, you lose a small amount of water. If you exhale onto a cool piece of glass you will see this moisture. Through sweating, also called transpiration, you lose water through the skin. Over the course of one night, both of these processes eliminate more water than you might think.

Also contributing to the weight loss is the tradition of using the toilet prior to the morning weigh-in. That process alone can eliminate up to a pound of water.

The average person eliminates about 1.2 liters of water just in urine every day. Another liter a day is eliminated through perspiration and respiration. That's 2.2 kilograms (or almost 5 pounds) throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Walking Off Fat—Fast!
Walking Off Fat—Fast!
Saying you're too heavy to exercise is like saying you're too skinny to eat. Your body needs exercise just as your body needs food. And walking may be...
8 Tips for Sticking to Your Healthy Eating and Exercise Plan
If you're looking to protect your health by watching your weight and exercising more, it can be easier said than done. The trick is to find your bigge...
How much weight can I lose in a week?
How much weight can I lose in a week? With proper nutrition and exercise, you should lose one to two...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
You exercise regularly and you think your diet is pretty good, so why won’t the scale budge? The fact is, we’re not all experts in everything weight ...