Can wearing nasal strips really help alleviate snoring?

Those wacky nose strips worn by football players won't significantly increase the amount of oxygen you breathe in, according to scientific studies. But they can likely make a difference for the average snorer or allergy sufferer. They keep your nostrils apart, which can help prevent snoring and also help move nitric oxide from your nasal passage into your lungs, which improves lung function.

Don't use nasal strips as alternative to seeking treatment, however. A visit to the neighborhood ENT (that's ear, nose, and throat doc) may reveal a structural problem (like mucous build up) that can easily be cured with a minor procedure, or by using a Neti-pot.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Snoring

Why do I snore?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Snoring is an air turbulence issue; when our nasal passages are narrowed, the air moves faster in th...
Whom should I consult if I'm suffering from snoring?
Craig L. Schwimmer, MDCraig L. Schwimmer, MD
Consult a physician experienced in treating snoring and sleep apnea at a snoring center near you.
Is snoring serious?
Your snoring may be a serious problem if it is a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. With sleep apne...
How does snoring affect businesses?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Poor sleep and the resulting daytime sleepiness and mental impairment caused by snoring is also expe...