What kind of doctor should I see for a sleep problem?

Your primary care provider may be able to pinpoint what's keeping you from getting the sleep and rest you need and prescribe an effective treatment plan. If you still don't get relief, or the problem requires additional testing, you may be referred to a specialist:

  • A pulmonologist treats lung disease and breathing problems associated with sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea.
  • A neurologist treats brain and nervous system disorders that may contribute to sleep problems.
  • An otolaryngologist treats ear, nose, and throat conditions. This doctor may evaluate snoring and other breathing problems associated with sleep disorders.
  • A psychiatrist treats mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression, which can contribute to sleep problems. Psychiatrists may conduct therapy and prescribe medication to relieve symptoms.
  • A psychologist provides psychotherapy to treat mood disorders that can interfere with sleep. Psychologists also may teach relaxation techniques to reduce stress.
  • A dentist may treat sleep apnea by fitting you with an oral appliance that makes it easier for you to breathe while you sleep.

Your doctor may also suggest that you visit a sleep center. There are about 1,200 sleep centers or laboratories located throughout the United States that are accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM).

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.