Why are we irritable when we don't sleep?

Lack of sleep or sleep deprivation, can cause a depletion of a neurotransmitter called Serotonin. Serotonin is one of the many calming hormones, and it allows us to keep our cool during stressful situations. Without enough Serotonin we may become irritable. In addition, sleep deprivation can lead to elevated levels of Cortisol, which is a hormone that can lead to increased stress. Thus if we have fewer calm feelings and more stress feelings we may become irritable.

Researchers say that the brain's prefrontal cortex, which helps keep emotions in check, doesn't send out inhibiting signals as well when we're sleep-deprived. So we're moodier as a result.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why do I sleep better on a beach vacation?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are a few of my ideas:  1. The environment. Remember you are on vacation. This in and of it...
How can sleep deprivation affect my immune system?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Sleep is the way the body repairs itself, and with sleep deprivation, the immune system is the first...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?