Why are we irritable when we don't sleep?

Researchers say that the brain's prefrontal cortex, which helps keep emotions in check, doesn't send out inhibiting signals as well when we're sleep-deprived. So we're moodier as a result.

Lack of sleep or sleep deprivation, can cause a depletion of a neurotransmitter called Serotonin. Serotonin is one of the many calming hormones, and it allows us to keep our cool during stressful situations. Without enough Serotonin we may become irritable. In addition, sleep deprivation can lead to elevated levels of Cortisol, which is a hormone that can lead to increased stress. Thus if we have fewer calm feelings and more stress feelings we may become irritable.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What are the pitfalls of sleeping on my back?
The Soldier: This sleeper spends the night on his back.The problem-Sleeping in the supine position c...
Why does my body jerk awake just as I'm falling asleep?
Ever wake up suddenly as your body jumps awake? In this video, Dr. Oz reveals the cause of these...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?