What can cause me to sleep too much?

Dr. Michael Breus, PhD
Psychology Specialist

People who are sleeping too much are often dealing with one or more of the following issues:

• Depression. Depression is linked to both sleep deprivation and to excess sleep. Lethargy, feelings of being overwhelmed, and fatigue are all hallmarks of depression and can they themselves lead to too much sleep.
  • Illness. Excess sleep can be both symptom of and a risk factor for an underlying illness.
  • Unemployment. In today's difficult economy, many people are facing unemployment and under-employment. Being without a job can cause depression, stress and anxiety, which can wreak havoc with sleep. Losing a job also often means losing the schedule that goes with employment, and that loss of routine can lead to irregular bedtimes and wake times, and too much sleep.
  • Loss of a loved one. Difficult losses—whether by death, divorce or separation—take a deep toll, both physically and emotionally. These events can cause immediate and significant problems for sleep, including an increase in sleep to unhealthful levels.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?