Why is it important to stay hydrated when exercising?

Hydration during exercise is vital to your safety.  Below are some reasons for why hydration is so important:

• It will impact performance.  Being dehydrated may prevent you from being alert and/or performing to a level in which you are able to perform.
  • Hydration helps to keep your body temperature from overheating.  In addition, when you sweat, you are losing water and need to replenish your body with water.
  • Hydration can help keep your muscles loose to prevent from cramping which will decrease performance.

These are only a few of the many reasons for why hydration is so important.  Do you part and stay hydrated.

Hydration before, during and after exercise is crucial to performance and to maintaining the proper fluid balance in your body, especially if you sweat during a particularly vigorous workout. Just water will do, unless you exercise for more than an hour. In that case, you can drink a low-calorie electrolyte replacement drink to restore sodium and potassium lost through sweating. Unsweetened iced tea or a beverage lightly flavored with a bit of juice is a good compromise. 

Avoid carbonated drinks, since they can create unpleasant gas and result in stomach cramps. Don’t justify caloric drinks just because you exercised --  you probably don’t need the extra calories unless you are trying to gain weight. If you prefer not to drink during your workout, make sure you finish an 8-to-16-ounce bottle once you wrap up your fitness routine.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

After workouts my legs feel heavy; what can I do to prevent this feeling?
prevent heavy feelings in your legs you may need to ease more slowly into your workout. As your fitn...
What do I need to be aware of when starting an exercise program?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
The most important two things that you need to be aware of when starting a fitness program is: what ...
What should I consider before selecting an exercise?
Debra Atkinson, MSDebra Atkinson, MS
There are several things to consider in choosing an exercise. Consider your overall goals and ob...
How can I start exercising if I have never been active?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have never been active, talk to your doctor about what exercise is safe for you and discuss h...