What is static stretching?

Static stretching is a type of flexibility best used to provide elasticity of tissue in a muscle.

It is best performed post-activity or independent of activity (static stretching immediately prior to performance can inhibit performance levels if not combined with other forms of movement preparation) and involves holding a stretch position for around 20-30 seconds - research indicates that a static stretch must be held for a minimum of 20 seconds for benefits. 

For typical application I recommend performing 1-2 sets of a static stretch and holding each set for 30 sec. 
Static stretching involves holding a muscle in the stretched position for at least twenty seconds. It is encouraged to hold at the point of mild tension. Static stretching does not involve bouncing movements.
Static stretching is the most common method used for improving flexibility. Static stretching uses a slow, constant speed and generally involves holding the stretched position for an extended period of time (usually 30 sec). Due to the slow and controlled speed at which stretches are performed, the risk for injury is minimal provided proper static stretching techniques are used. Muscles should only be stretched to a point of mild discomfort or tightness, not pain.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What would help stiffness after sitting?
Garrett Shepherd , NASM Elite TrainerGarrett Shepherd , NASM Elite Trainer
Sitting can make you stiff!Surprisingly, something as relaxing as sitting can make you very stiff.  ...
I sit at a desk all day and feel tight after a few hours, what can I do?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Sitting for extended periods, or any other activity that requires repetitive movements, leads to mus...
What devices can be used to measure flexibility?
For the trunk and lower extremity the most common ways to measure flexibilty are using a sit and...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?