question

What is the difference between a thyroid nodule and a goiter?

American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
answer

A thyroid nodule is a growth within the thyroid gland. Thyroid nodules are extremely common, and nodules large enough to be felt can be seen in 5 to 10 percent of women and 1 to 5 percent of men. A goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland and may be due to general enlargement of the gland or enlargement due to the presence of multiple nodules.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

What Medications and Therapies Treat Graves’ Disease?
Graves’ Disease affects the thyroid, a hormone-producing gland located in the throat. When a person has Graves’ disease, the body’s immune system atta...
Is Thyroid Eye Disease Impacting Your Sleep?
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects some people with certain thyroid conditions. The most common thyroid condition associated with T...
What You Need to Know About Thyroid Disorders
The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland at the base of the neck, above the collarbones. The thyroid makes hormones that regulate your body’s me...
Could my child be born without a thyroid gland?
Could my child be born without a thyroid gland? Some children are born without a thyroid gland. Lear...