What is the difference between a thyroid nodule and a goiter?

A thyroid nodule is a growth within the thyroid gland. Thyroid nodules are extremely common, and nodules large enough to be felt can be seen in 5 to 10 percent of women and 1 to 5 percent of men. A goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland and may be due to general enlargement of the gland or enlargement due to the presence of multiple nodules.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

What Healthcare Providers Treat Thyroid Eye Disease?
Thyroid eye disease (TED) is a condition that affects some people who have thyroid disorders. The most common thyroid disorder associated with TED is ...
Could my child be born without a thyroid gland?
Could my child be born without a thyroid gland? Some children are born without a thyroid gland. Lear...
Can a thyroid problem cause night sweats?
Night sweats can be associated with both underactive or overactive thyroid function. Learn more from...
What supplements should I take after thyroid surgery?
Following thyroid surgery, If signs of low calcium level occur, then calcium and/or vitamin D pills ...