How does conflict affect a couple’s sex life?

While some like the passion of sex when they’re angry or the thrill of make-up sex, relationship conflict and good sex do not go together for the most part.  Over time, the cycle of fighting takes its toll on one or both partners, and sex no longer becomes an enjoyable way to reconnect.

Both men and women may find it difficult to respond sexually to a partner when they are angry. Anger can cause low sexual desire, especially when resentment and hostility build up over time. Feeling hurt or upset also can interfere with arousal. Women may find they are not receptive to sex -- with symptoms like pain or dryness -- when they are feeling angry, hurt, sad, or resentful, as their bodies may have difficulty relaxing and responding sexually. Men may have trouble getting an erection when they are experiencing negative emotions, or they may find it more difficult to ejaculate. Ultimately, the mind plays a crucial role in sexual function, and the body might not respond when you don’t feel comfortable, connected, or safe.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Does Frequent Sex Make You Smarter?
Does Frequent Sex Make You Smarter?
As the trailer for Genius, the TV docudrama about the life of Albert Einstein, makes clear, Einstein was many things, but monogamous was not one of th...
Where do I go for sex therapy?
Tiffanie Davis Henry, PhDTiffanie Davis Henry, PhD
When looking for a sex therapist, you'll want to make certain that you find someone who has been pro...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?