Can B vitamins make pain relievers more effective?

B vitamins may enhance the effects of certain pain relievers. Some research indicates that in people who suffer low back pain, taking a supplement containing vitamins B1, B6 and B12 along with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) provided better pain relief than the NSAID alone and reduced the need for the NSAID among study participants. Ibuprofen is one example of an NSAID.

B vitamins may also have direct effects on the nervous system. There is some evidence that taking B vitamins may reduce the pain of neuropathy (nerve pain) in people with diabetes or in people who are deficient in these vitamins. Talk to your doctor about whether taking B vitamin supplements is right for you.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Can I crush vitamin supplements before swallowing?
Can I crush vitamin supplements before swallowing? Check with your pharmacist or doctor before crush...
What is the difference between vitamin A and vitamin B?
What is the difference between vitamin A and vitamin B? Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin found bot...
Which vitamins are important for good sex?
Which vitamins are important for good sex? L-arginine, pycnogenol, omega-3s, and vitamins C and E ei...
What vitamins can I take if I'm using statin drugs?
What vitamins can I take if I'm using statin drugs? You need to be careful what you take with statin...