What vitamins can I take if I'm using statin drugs?

If you take statin drugs, talk to your doctor before taking any supplements. Certain supplements may benefit people who take statins. For example, there is some evidence that taking supplements of coenzyme Q10 may reduce the muscle soreness that statins sometimes cause. However, taking niacin (vitamin B3) supplements along with a statin medication may worsen muscle soreness. Your doctor can help you determine what supplements, if any, might be right for you.
The anti-inflammatory effect of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs can be inhibited by taking more than 200 milligrams of vitamin C or more than 100 IU of vitamin E a day in supplement form, so you need to be careful what you take with a statin.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Could You See Better With These Cataract-Fighting Foods?
To help reduce your risk of cataracts clouding your vision as you age, pluck these items out of your crisper drawer: bell peppers, broccoli and orange...
Are all vitamins and supplements safe to take?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
No. For some people, depending upon their diet and personal history, a supplement may not be healthf...
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
Hit the kitchen before you head to the pharmacy—you can get nearly all your essential vitamins and minerals from food. Nearly 68 percent of Americans ...
Why Should I Be Cautious When Giving My Child Fortified Cereal?