What is anal stimulation?

The anus can be stimulated with fingers, tongue, penis, dildo, or any slender object (so long as it has a flared base and can be retrieved easily). Many women find it a highly sexually sensitive area. You can give or receive anal stimulation with a male or female partner. The anus is not as elastic as the vagina, so you need to be gentle. During anal intercourse, go slowly, wait until you are relaxed, and use a lubricant—saliva or a water-based jelly such as K-Y, Astroglide, or Probe. Anal bacteria can cause serious vaginal infections and cystitis, so if you want your partner's finger(s), penis, or dildo in your vagina after being in your anus, be sure they have been washed well first, and use a condom on a penis or dildo. If you or your partner want to use a tongue in the anus (sometimes called rimming), be sure to use a dental dam with lubrication to protect against getting a stomach infection or a sexually transmitted infection. Anal sex is a very risky activity for HIV/AIDS transmission. The delicate tissue in the rectum is prone to small tears that make an entryway for the AIDS virus.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

All About YOU: How to Achieve a Better Sex Life
Is something slowing down your sex life? Are you overdue for some passionate, can’t-keep-my-hands-off-you sex? Here’s a tip: regular exercise leads to...
What are fantasies?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many people think of fantasies as predominantly about sex. Fantasizing is actually the process of ...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
How Can I Boost My Libido?
How Can I Boost My Libido?