What is anal stimulation?

The anus can be stimulated with fingers, tongue, penis, dildo, or any slender object (so long as it has a flared base and can be retrieved easily). Many women find it a highly sexually sensitive area. You can give or receive anal stimulation with a male or female partner. The anus is not as elastic as the vagina, so you need to be gentle. During anal intercourse, go slowly, wait until you are relaxed, and use a lubricant—saliva or a water-based jelly such as K-Y, Astroglide, or Probe. Anal bacteria can cause serious vaginal infections and cystitis, so if you want your partner's finger(s), penis, or dildo in your vagina after being in your anus, be sure they have been washed well first, and use a condom on a penis or dildo. If you or your partner want to use a tongue in the anus (sometimes called rimming), be sure to use a dental dam with lubrication to protect against getting a stomach infection or a sexually transmitted infection. Anal sex is a very risky activity for HIV/AIDS transmission. The delicate tissue in the rectum is prone to small tears that make an entryway for the AIDS virus.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Oh No, Could I be Allergic to Sperm?
Oh No, Could I be Allergic to Sperm?
An allergy is the overreaction of the body’s immune system to a normally benign substance. When the body becomes hypersensitive to something, it treat...
How does conflict affect a couple’s sex life?
Good In BedGood In Bed
While some like the passion of sex when they’re angry or the thrill of make-up sex, relationship con...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
How Can I Get My Partner in the Mood for Sex?