What is an apnea monitor?

An apnea monitor tracks breathing and heartrate. Apnea is when an individual stops breathing. A home apnea monitor for a baby tracks a baby's breathing and heart rate.
An apnea monitor is a portable machine that monitors breathing and heart rate during sleep. It may be recommended for use in babies, particularly premature infants, who have been diagnosed with apnea (pauses in breathing during sleep). The apnea monitor comes equipped with electrodes and/or a belt that attaches to a baby's chest or stomach. When the baby's breathing and/or heart rate dip below normal, it triggers an alarm on the monitor. The device may also be referred to as an apnea and bradycardia or A/B monitor. Home apnea monitors are not used as often now because they can frequently cause false alarms, and because treatment of apnea in the hospital has improved over the years.

Apnea monitors are also made for adults who are at risk of respiratory failure from sleep apnea. These may measure breaths and changes in breathing pressure, presence of carbon dioxide in breaths, and motion during sleep, among other data, and sound an alarm if the adult's breathing pauses too long. 

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea

Stop Sleep Apnea Troubles With CPAP
Stop Sleep Apnea Troubles With CPAP
Suffering from sleep apnea? A CPAP – which stands for continuous positive airway pressure – machine may help. CPAP devices can be used to relieve the ...
Can my primary care physician diagnose and treat me for sleep apnea?
Phil WestbrookPhil Westbrook
Yes, in most cases your primary care physician will be able to diagnose and treat you for sleep apne...
Does sleep apnea make it harder to control blood pressure?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Sleep apnea is a repetitive blockage of the upper airway that stops your breathing. Watch Timothy L....
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?