If I'm pregnant and carrying high, will I have a girl?

This is a myth and about as accurate as a guess - it's right half the time. "Carrying high" means the pregnancy bump, or the most protruding part of the belly, rides high on the abdomen. "Carrying low" means the bump is closer to the pelvis. If a woman has tight abdominal muscles, however, the bump will be high. A woman whose abdominal muscles have loosened because of age or previous pregnancies will carry a baby lower. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Ask Dr. Darria: I’m Pregnant and I Can’t Stop Vomiting. Is This Normal?
I’m two months pregnant, and I’m vomiting so much that it’s hard for me to go to work. Is this harming my baby? Is there any way to find relief? As I ...
Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
Among all the health questions that arise during pregnancy, one of the biggest is: what medicines an...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?