question

Why does aerobic exercise help lose weight?

Jonathan Penney
Jonathan Penney on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
Fitness
answer

Truly any exercise is going to help you lose weight. Aerobic exercise will assist in weight loss due to the amount of calories that are burned. You may potentially burn more calories through intense aerobic exercise than what you burn during anaerobic exercise. However, anaerobic exercise will also help in weight loss. 

Again, exercise in general will benefit you more than no exercise at all. The best way to lose weight will be to complete both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Increasing your lean muscle mass will help to increase your metabolism which will result in a greater chance for weight loss.

Continue Learning about Cardio

How does aerobic exercise affect the respiratory system?
During aerobic exercise, when you increase your activity level and work your large muscle groups, yo...
What kind of cardio training can I do to lower my resting heart rate?
What kind of cardio training can I do to lower my resting heart rate? Having a high resting heart ra...
What are examples of aerobic exercise?
What are examples of aerobic exercise? A brisk walk is an example of aerobic exercise. Learn more fr...
What is Zumba?
Movement is an important part of getting and staying healthy. Learn more from our experts about Zumb...