What kind of cardio training can I do to lower my resting heart rate?

Having a high resting heart rate could be a sign of an unfit individual or a sign of over training in a fit individual. If you are just starting to train and your resting heart rate is high, you need to start with lower intensity training. Use a heart rate monitor and start off at 65% of the calculation, 220-your age. This is very basic and will give you a good heart rate zone to create an aerobic base. Over time you should see your resting heart rate drop. For someone that has been training often and for some time, a high resting heart rate could indicate over training, in which case your heart is fatigued and has to work harder than it should to recover. This is very common in those that train every day at the same intensity. Having recovery days, which could be complete rest or at least exercising at a very low intensity, is very important and many people overlook the benefits of it by trying to push too much. Individuals in this state need to go to an unload phase for a week or two. This means complete rest or no training above 65% of 220-age calculation. Once you see your heart rate recovery improving, you can go back to your normal activity, but remember to add recovery days into your routine.

Continue Learning about Cardio

What should I know before I try aerobics?
Before you try aerobics it is important to visit your doctor to ensure you are healthy enough for ae...
How much aerobic activity should I do?
Dianne Zwicke, MDDianne Zwicke, MD
Points to remember for aerobic exercise:Your aerobic activity should be in addition to routine activ...
What are examples of aerobic exercise?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here are some examples of aerobic exercise:Take a brisk walk (outside or inside on a treadmill)Go ...
What is moderate-intensity aerobic activity?
Most adults should accumulate a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity each w...