How does flaxseed oil treat constipation and irritable bowel?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

An indigestible coating on flaxseed oil seeds helps treat gastrointestinal conditions like constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. When this coating comes in contact with liquids, it creates a thick, slippery substance that coats the walls of the intestines and promotes movement of the bowels, helping to prevent constipation.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

What is the difference between flaxseed oil and linseed oil?
Both flaxseed oil and linseed oil are extracted from seeds of the plant Linum usitatissimu. Flax...
Should I tell my doctor I am taking flaxseed oil?
As with any nutritional supplement, it is a good idea to tell your doctor you are taking flaxsee...
What are the other names for flaxseed oil supplements?
On the label, flaxseed oil supplements may contain the Latin name of the flax plant, Linum usita...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?