<p>Alternative medicines, also known as complementary and alternative therapies, or CAM, include natural and herbal remedies, mind-body therapies (such as tai chi, <a href="/health/meditation">meditation</a>, yoga, hypnotherapy, acupuncture and progressive relaxation), <a href="/health/massage-therapy">massage therapy,</a> and other types of bodywork.</p>Why Some Docs Are Against It
Can Alternative Therapies Reduce Stress and Anxiety?Take the Quiz!
Health TipDiscover remedies for sleep
The percentage of U.S. adults who use alternative therapies
National Institutes of Health/NCCAM
Alternative Medicine Q&As
Why do people turn to alternative medicine?
<html xmlns="">There seems to be a culture shift in America. At the start of my nursing career I saw patients and families seeking alternative treatments as a last-ditch effort towards a cure. Today I see patients and their families choosing alternative medicine as a complimentary adjunct to their medical regimes and as a way to prevent disease rather than treat it. Regardless of the 'why' people choose alternative medicine, the most important factor is probably the realization that it is still medicine and should not be taken lightly or without knowledge. Just because you can buy herbs off the shelf does not always mean you should use them. Start with a practitioner, such as a homeopathic doctor, before embarking on an alternative journey.
- QHow many people use alternative medicine?
- QWhat is cupping?
- QWhat is the holistic health approach to reduce stress, aches and pains?
- QAre green coffee supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
- QWhat are some of the hot new trends in alternative medicine?
- QWhat is the role of natural remedies in conventional medicine?
- QAre natural remedies safer than pharmaceutical drugs?
- QShould I stop taking natural remedies before I have surgery?
- QIs it safe to take natural remedies with conventional medications?
- QDo beta-sitosterol supplements help with benign prostatic hypertrophy?
- QHow do rituals contribute to healing?
- QIs preventive medicine holistic?
- QWhat is holistic healing?
- QWhy are some doctors resistant to alternative medicine?
- QIs preventive medicine the same as alternative medicine?
- QCan alternative medicine improve digestion?
- QWhat is complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)?
- QIs complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) widely used?
- QWhat is natural healing?
- QHow does natural healing work?
- QHow can I avoid buying alternative medicines that don't work?
- QHow are alternative medicines determined to be safe?
- QWhat does a therapeutic recreational therapist do?
- QHow do maggots help heal wounds?