Is Alternative Medicine for You?
Alternative medicines, also known as complementary and alternative therapies, or CAM, include natural and herbal remedies, mind-body therapies (such as tai chi, meditation, yoga, hypnotherapy, acupuncture and progressive relaxation), massage therapy, and other types of bodywork.Try Our Meditation Challenge
Can Alternative Therapies Reduce Stress and Anxiety?Take the Quiz!
Health TipDiscover natural remedies
The percentage of U.S. adults who use alternative therapies
National Institutes of Health/NCCAM
Alternative Medicine Q&As
Christopher S. Saigal, MD
Are alternative therapies safe for treating prostate cancer?
Alternative therapies for prostate cancer, specifically supplements, are fine as long as there's some evidence behind them. There was . . .
- Q How safe is St. John's wort for depression in people with dementia?
- Q How safe are herbal medications for depression in people with dementia?
- Q What is Slow Medicine?
- Q How can Vastu Shastra benefit my health?
- Q What is Vastu Shastra?
- Q What is an infrared sauna?
- Q Are bear's garlic supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
- Q Does maggot therapy help treat gangrene?
- Q Does maggot therapy help treat diabetic foot ulcers?
- Q Does maggot therapy help treat burns?
Recent Alternative Medicine Articles
Use alternative therapies to ease a range of health conditions, including pain, stress, and sleep problems.
What is Slow Medicine? The Sensational Power of Smells Music Soothes the Soul...and So Much More The Healing Environment See All Articles