Do fartlek runs help build cardio endurance?

Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a form of cardio training which puts stress mainly on the aerobic energy system due to the continuous nature of the exercise. The difference between Fartlek training and "traditional" cardio/interval training is that the intensity or speed of the exercise varies, meaning that both the aerobic and anaerobic systems can be placed under stress. The aerobic system of your body requires oxygen to complete an activity lasting longer than thirty seconds. The anaerobic system is used in activities that are not oxygen dependant and last for only a few seconds. An example of these two systems working together would be going from an aerobic walk into an anaerobic sprint, then returning to a walk/jog. On average, fartlek training sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and the success is due to its ability to adapt to your specific needs, whether it is for a sport or just for fun.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

What else besides running can I do to increase my cardiovascular endurance
Cardioresiratory activities include any type of activity that involves and places demand on the card...
How can my posture affect my cardiovascular endurance?
Improper posture while performing cardio training can lead to injury due to over activity and intera...
Can weight lifting be considered cardio training?
Damond A. McCain , NASM Elite TrainerDamond A. McCain , NASM Elite Trainer
Yes! With the key word being, "Can." What you have to keep in mind, is that you will need a base lin...
Should I do cardio if I am trying to increase muscle size?
Chris Embry Chris Embry
While cardiovascular exercise can be reduced if you are trying to gain muscle, it is important to ke...