Will sprinting increase my cardiovascular endurance?

Yes. Although, you will need to develop a cardio base first with low intensity cardio training. Once you have a base where you can maintain a run, sprints (short bursts of up to one minute of high speed running) can increase type II muscle fiber which will positively impact your cardio capacity.

Yes, sprinting can improve your cardiovascular endurance but may not be the ideal choice, especially when starting an exercise program. Cardiovascular endurance consists of maintaining an increased heart rate for a sustained period of time, which will you will not be able to do when sprinting, because sprinting is too intense. However it will allow you to improve your intensity levels. If you want to incorporate sprinting into your cardio training for endurance, you should do so in an interval training fashion. This can be accomplished after you have developed an aerobic base, (or baseline level of fitness). At this point, you will incorporate short bouts of intense intervals of 80 - 85% of heart rate max (HRmax) and then recover at 65 - 75% (HRmax). Once you are able to recover in less and less time, you can then progress to greater intensity intervals of 86 - 90% of your maximum heart rate (for about one minute), then reduce the workload to 80 -85% HRmax and then finally recover at the lower intensity of 65 - 75% HRmax.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

Is it better to use more reps to increase my cardiovascular endurance?
Cardiovascular endurance is best improved by performing continuous cardio exercise for an extended p...
How can I improve my cardiovascular endurance?
Improvements come with practice! Try to perform at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity most day...
Can weight training be used as a substitute for cardio training?
Adam KruegerAdam Krueger
Yes strength training can be turned into a cardio style workout with simple intervals with the use o...
What else besides running can I do to increase my cardiovascular endurance
Cardioresiratory activities include any type of activity that involves and places demand on the card...