Should I correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he's wrong?

You can correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he is wrong at the beginning of the condition, when it just starts progressing. But if you see that every time you correct them it causes agitation, then probably not every correction is necessary unless you're dealing with some kind of safety situation.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease

Is it a good idea to go on a cruise with a loved one with Alzheimer's?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Cruises for a few days, up to two weeks, are almost ideal ways of giving both you and your loved...
How can I manage the behavior of a loved one with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
Communication plays a big role in behavior management of people with Alzheimer's disease. Keep these...
When should I put my loved one with Alzheimer's in a care facility?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
As the burdens of caregiving increase, you will need to face what may be one of the most agonizi...
As a caregiver, what do I need to do in the early stages of Alzheimer's?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
During these early stages of the disease, the demands made on the caregiver are relatively modest. P...