Should I correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he's wrong?

You can correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he is wrong at the beginning of the condition, when it just starts progressing. But if you see that every time you correct them it causes agitation, then probably not every correction is necessary unless you're dealing with some kind of safety situation.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease

When should I put my loved one with Alzheimer's in a care facility?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
As the burdens of caregiving increase, you will need to face what may be one of the most agonizi...
How can I manage the behavior of a loved one with Alzheimer's disease?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Behavioral problems are generally quite mild at the early stage of the disease. They tend to ste...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. Eric PfeifferDr. Eric Pfeiffer
Here are some things to consider when caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease: Memory Loss - ...
How can caregivers handle personality changes in people with Alzheimer's?
Peter Gliebus, MDPeter Gliebus, MD
To handle personality changes in people with Alzherimer's disease, caregivers have to learn to first...