Who is affected by Alzheimer's disease?

The risk of Alzheimer's rises steadily with age. One in eight people ages 65 and older is affected, and nearly half of those who live to age 85 have Alzheimer's.

Of course, Alzheimer's affects a far greater number of people, for it takes a toll on loved ones as well as those with the disease. With the graying of America, Alzheimer's disease is a growing national problem. Today, an estimated 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer's. If no effective treatment or means of prevention is found, that number could rise as high as 16 million by 2050.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Causes

Type 3 Diabetes: The Alzheimer’s-Glucose Connection
Alzheimer’s disease is common and mysterious, well-documented and hidden. Though it affects an estimated 5.4 million Americans (5.3 million are 65 or ...
How can I reduce my risk of Alzheimer's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“People who are concerned about something like memory loss should seek the help of a qualified physi...
What is beta-amyloid?
There are protein fragments in your brain that sound like the name of a Star Wars droid—beta-amyloid...
What Is the State of Alzheimer's Disease Research and Treatment?