How do genetics affect my risk for Alzheimer's disease?

Dr. Gary Small, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

There are genetic risks for Alzheimer’s disease. The most common gene involved is called APOE. APOE comes in three different forms. About one in five people in the population has APOE-4. This increases  an individual's risk for Alzheimer's, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient to develop the disease.

Genetics can play a role in your risk for certain types of Alzheimer's disease. Early onset familial Alzheimer's disease, for example, is passed on through an inherited mutated gene for the disease.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Causes

Type 3 Diabetes: The Alzheimer’s-Glucose Connection
Alzheimer’s disease is common and mysterious, well-documented and hidden. Though it affects an estimated 5.4 million Americans (5.3 million are 65 or ...
How do hormones affect the risk or progression of Alzheimer's disease?
Samuel E. Gandy, MDSamuel E. Gandy, MD
Understanding how hormones such as estrogen, testosterone, and insulin impact the risk or progre...
What are the chances that I will develop Alzheimer's disease as I age?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
As you get older, there's about a 1% risk per year of developing Alzheimer's disease. Deficits in me...
Why Women Are at Risk for Alzheimer’s
Why Women Are at Risk for Alzheimer’s