Who can help me find medications for my child's ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

There are several doctors who can prescribe medications for your child's attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms. A psychiatrist, especially one who specializes in child and adolescent issues, is a good person to talk to. Pediatricians can also prescribe ADHD medications but do not have as much intensive training on emotional and behavioral issues in children as child psychiatrists do.

To find an effective psychiatrist for your child, talk to family members and friends. Do you know anyone who has seen a psychiatrist or psychologist? You may be able to contact that provider to get a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in children's issues, including ADHD. You can also contact professional organizations, like the American Psychiatric Association or the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, to get names of doctors who work near you.

You may be limited by providers listed in your insurance network. If that is the case, make sure you feel comfortable working with the doctor you choose. ADHD is often treated best with regular visits, and you will want to make sure that you feel content with the physician for the long-term.


Continue Learning about ADHD

Best Doctors for ADHD
Best Doctors for ADHD
If you suspect that you have an attention disorder, ADHD or ADD, your first instinct may be to contact your primary care physician or family doctor—a ...
Read More
How do child ADHD treatment patterns compare with the recommendations?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Data from a national sample of children with special health care needs, ages 4-17 years, collected i...
More Answers
How can I help my child with ADHD maintain a healthy mindset?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Improve your child's self-efficacy For a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),...
More Answers
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.