Who can help me find medications for my child's ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

There are several doctors who can prescribe medications for your child's attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms. A psychiatrist, especially one who specializes in child and adolescent issues, is a good person to talk to. Pediatricians can also prescribe ADHD medications but do not have as much intensive training on emotional and behavioral issues in children as child psychiatrists do.

To find an effective psychiatrist for your child, talk to family members and friends. Do you know anyone who has seen a psychiatrist or psychologist? You may be able to contact that provider to get a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in children's issues, including ADHD. You can also contact professional organizations, like the American Psychiatric Association or the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, to get names of doctors who work near you.

You may be limited by providers listed in your insurance network. If that is the case, make sure you feel comfortable working with the doctor you choose. ADHD is often treated best with regular visits, and you will want to make sure that you feel content with the physician for the long-term.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Managing ADHD in Adult Relationships
Managing ADHD in Adult Relationships
Adults living with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) probably know quite a bit about the symptoms that come with the condition. But if y...
How can I help other people understand the behavior of my child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Research over many decades has shown that applying an optimistic explanatory style can help depressi...
Is ADHD a real disorder?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is a very real disorder. It is a condition that make...
Your Child Has ADHD? How to Work With His or Her Teacher