What are dietary guidelines for a child with ADHD?

Dr. Shannon in his book, Please Don't Label My Child recommends the basic dietary guidelines for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms:
  • Stay well hydrated (dehydration prevents absorption of nutrients)
  • Get plenty of protein
  • Omega 3's
  • Vegetables and fruits
  • Whole grains
  • Supplements
While these guidelines seem straightforward and basic, many families find it difficult to stay within these simple guidelines. This is a good place to start since it is not complicated, and is fairly easy to follow. While many people debate about a gluten free diet, it is simple to get a gluten sensitivity test to determine if such a rigorous diet is necessary.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
Finding out that your child has a condition such as ADHD can be difficult, to put it mildly. For many parents, it's life changing. When my husband and...
Why do parents blame themselves for their child's ADHD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Some of the popular literature on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) blames parents...
Are children, teens and college students with ADHD eligible for benefits under Section 504?
Yes, when you’re packing for college, you can tuck your 504 benefits in with your socks and iPod. Yo...
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 4
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 4